Different types of blemishes attack the human skin but it is most embarrassing and unpleasant when its focus is on the face. It can present as skin discoloration, spots, dark patches on skin or brown spots on face. Whichever one you are battling with may tamper with your social life and even leave a dent in some people’s self-confidence.
This article will focus mainly on dark patches on skin and brown spots on face. What causes these skin blemishes and how can you get back a beautiful glowing skin free of blemishes?
Dark patches on the skin
Causes of dark patches on the skin
There are different factors that can cause dark patches to appear on the skin. These dark patches which are called acanthosis nigricans in medical terms can appear in the groin, neck, armpit, elbows, knees, knuckles and soles of the feet. It is more common in people of African, Hispanic or Caribbean origin and obese people.
The main causes of dark patches on the skin include the following –
- Excess insulin in the bloodstream. In some cases, overweight individuals might in time, begin to resist insulin. When the body is unable to use the insulin produced in the pancreas properly, it accumulates causing rapid reproduction of skin cells. Loaded with more melanin, the skin begins to experience dark patches. It could, therefore, be a pointer to pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes.
- Inherited genes from parents can be the cause of some dark patches on the skin.
- Medications such as hormone treatment medications, steroids or thyroid medications can trigger dark skin patches.
- Underlying diseases like pituitary gland disorders, adrenal gland disorders, low levels of thyroid hormones and in rare cases, stomach cancer can all induce black patches on the skin.
There are some instances where none of these factors cause dark patches on the skin. In such instances, they occur naturally in healthy people with no underlying ailment. This is noticed more in people of dark colors.
Treatment of dark patches
Treatment of the underlying illness that caused the skin blemish will mostly take care of the skin patches. However, your dermatologist or doctor may recommend other forms of remedy.
Losing weight will be recommended if the patient is overweight.
Change medication if the patches appear due to medication.
This can be quite effective in removing the dark patches on the skin following the treatment or when it occurred naturally. There are numerous skincare products that can remove dark patches by lightening the affected areas. But you are better off with organic products because they have little or no side effects. We recommend Marti Derm Pigment Zero DSP-serum illuminador. It effectively takes care of dark skin patches using selective de-pigmentation ingredients.
Brown spots on the face
Browse spots on the face appear as a result of over secretion of melanin in the body. Melanin is responsible for eyes, skin and hair color in humans. Melisma is the medical term for brown spots appearing on the cheeks, bridge of nose, forehead or chin. Brown spots are also called age or liver spots and are common among people of color.
Causes of brown spots on the face
- Exposure to the sun. The sun’s ultraviolet rays stimulate the melanin in the body which explains why it is more evident during the summer and occurs mostly on the face and other exposed body parts.
- Reaction to skin/hair care products can trigger the appearance of brown spots on the face. These products regarded as harmful by the body can irritate the skin in the form of brown spots.
- Inflammatory skin conditions. Skin inflammation can occur from bouts of eczema, acne, pimples, injury or psoriasis. They leave dark spots in their wake.
- Medications. Skin pigmentation can be caused by certain kinds of medication like NSAIDs and psychotropic medications.
- Hormones. Changes in hormone can result in brown spots on face and other parts of the skin. Melisma in pregnant women is chiefly caused by hormonal changes.
7 tips for removing skin blemishes
When skin blemish is not caused by any underlying ailment, you can use these remedies to remove them. The remedies work well for dark patches on the skin and the brown spots on face.
- Tomatoes being a rich source of vitamin c and antioxidants are effective. Massage the tomato juice into the affected areas, leave it for 15 minutes then wash off with water.
- Egg white contains enzymes that can help lighten dark skin patches and tone the skin.
- Sunscreen can help especially when the skin blemish is caused or worsened by exposure to the sun’s rays. Use it frequently and consistently for better results.
- Skin lightening products. The use of quality or better still organic skin lightening products can hasten the fading process. They can sometimes slow down the production of melanin in the body. A note of warning here though, some skin lightening products are harmful to your skin and overall health. Some ingredients contained in some of these products are dangerous. Worse still, some of these harmful ingredients are not listed on the product’s label. This is why we recommend Martderm Pigment Zero DSP–cream FPS 50+. It is effective, safe and organic.
- Laser treatment. The laser light focuses on melanin and breaks up the dark spots to create clear skin. There are various forms of laser treatments available these days.
- Honey can help the skin lightening process because it contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Get original pure honey and apply on the dark spots and patches. Leave for 15-30 minutes then rinse it with cold water. Equally important, perform this regimen daily for about two weeks and watch the blemishes fade.
- Different enzymes found in different foods and fruits are powerful enough to break up melanin such that they become colorless and disperse the dark spots and patches. Pawpaw is a good example of such fruit and you can mash it into a face mask or apply on the affected skin area.
Healthy living and protection from the sun and other causative factors can help prevent dark patches on skin and brown spots on face. Also, know when to seek medical help especially if the spots change shape or persist after the home remedies.
Order products for healthy skin without pigmentation, dark patches or brown spots from here.