You are likely to be curious about antioxidants, antioxidants benefits to the body, where to get them from and so on.
Antioxidants are available in various forms and from different sources. Antioxidants benefits are immeasurable to the skin in particular and human health in general. I know you will be excited at the possibility of having a healthy, youthful and glowing skin for a very long time to come. I would too.
But first, you need to know what antioxidants consist of as well as antioxidants benefits to the body?
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are compounds that work to protect the body system by inhibiting the activities of oxidants. They limit or stop the damage to the body cells. This is achieved by eliminating harmful waste products within the cells known as free radicals.
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants protect the body against excess free radicals. It also protects against free radicals from environmental factors like sun radiation, harmful chemicals and other toxic elements. These free radicals can harm the body, resulting in diseases and early aging. However, antioxidants have the capacity to neutralize these free radicals.
The body produces both antioxidants and free radicals. In most cases, the free radicals outnumber the antioxidants. The free radicals not only can damage normal body cells (DNA inclusive) but also sometimes lead to cancer. You can help your body by supplying it with more antioxidants from external sources.
External antioxidants are mainly derived from the fiber, fruits and vegetables we consume. Some food supplements and skincare products also contain antioxidants. The presence of antioxidants in processed foods is often not as much as you think, sometimes none.
Antioxidants benefits to the skin
Antioxidants protect the skin from sunburn, sunspots, skin inflammations and aging. On the other hand, skin purification is another antioxidant’s benefit. Likewise, it has the ability to stop the damages caused by free radicals and protect the skin. You need to include it in your skincare regimen. Antioxidants benefits include the following
- Protect the skin from sunburn. The anti-inflammatory properties of antioxidants guard your skin from the sun’s harmful radiation. This ensures your skin remains undamaged and glowing while protecting it from photo-aging. It can also help to repair in repairing sun-damaged skin. Antioxidants like beta carotene, astaxanthin and vitamin E are especially effective for this purpose.
- Support the immune system. Certain antioxidants such as spirulina have the ability to boost your body’s immunity while astaxanthin can safeguard the skin cells from the activities of the free radicals by quenching them.
- Slow down the aging process. Antioxidants benefit the body by slowing down or limiting internal and external aging processes. It does this by neutralizing free radicals and reducing the deterioration of the body. It also diminishes wrinkles, firms the skin and protects it against adverse effects of the sun’s rays.
- Repair the skin. Antioxidants play a vital role in skin repair. It reduces the inflammation on the skin that would otherwise slow down the healing process. Antioxidants benefit the skin by improving its healing process and repairing damages on the skin.
- Anti-Carcinogenic Properties. Certain antioxidants like vitamins A, C and E contain properties that can ward off skin cancer. They protect the skin from cancer-causing toxins.
- An even-toned, glowing skin. Exposure to the sun will over time darken exposed parts of the skin by increasing melanin production in the body. With antioxidants, this process can be inhibited thereby achieving an even-toned glowing skin. You can also retain a youthful glow by using antioxidants products and eating diets rich in antioxidants.
Other antioxidants benefits are
- Boost human health by neutralizing free radicals.
- Inhibit cell damage which can cause diseases.
- Decrease the possibility of degeneration of eye lens.
- Help fight inflammatory conditions like arthritis, cancer, Parkinson’s disease, etc.
Sources of antioxidants
There are various food sources that can supply the body with external antioxidants. These assist the internally produced antioxidants to neutralize the free radicals and promote good skin and overall body health.
- Vitamin A (Retinol) efficiently improves cell repair and renewal, as well as smoothen wrinkles and stimulate the production of collagen. Vitamin A is found in sweet potatoes, milk, carrots, liver and egg yolks.
- Vitamin C, a common ingredient in skincare products. Oranges, mangoes, blackcurrants, kiwifruits, broccoli, spinach and strawberries contain vitamin C. The antioxidants benefits of vitamin C enhance the production of collagen, brighten dark skin and protect the skin against the sun’s UV rays.
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) is another dominant antioxidant. It limits the appearance of hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines. It also has anti-inflammatory characteristics and increases skin hydration. Its sources include liver, fish, pork, beef, peanuts, avocado, whole wheat, mushrooms, potatoes and green peas.
- Flavonoids are sourced from green/black teas, citrus fruits, onions, apples and red wine. They are capable of absorbing UV rays to restrict skin damage and photo-aging. They also protect the skin against skin cancer and aging.
- Resveratrol commonly found in berries, tea, peanuts provide a protective shield for the skin.
- Glutathione helps the body in detoxification, to give your body that glow and suppleness that you desire. Antioxidants benefit the cells in our body. It repairs the cells, reduces oxidative stress and brightens the skin. It is found in fish, poultry, beef, cauliflower, watercress, kale and broccoli.
Antioxidants benefits are countless. There are several processed foods as well as beauty products that contain antioxidants. To be sure a product does what is written on the label, research the product and its manufacturers. The reviews and comments will point you in the right direction.
Look out for skincare products that contain the top skin-friendly ingredients mentioned above to enjoy antioxidants benefits. We highly recommend Marti Derm Black Diamond range of products. The Black Diamond line provides maximum antioxidants benefits to the skin and gives the skin a stunning look.
Click here for more information on the Marti Derm range of antioxidants products.